If you or someone you love was seriously injured in a truck accident, you might have many questions about your rights and next steps. The trucking industry is subject to strict federal and local laws; when truck companies violate these laws, accidents can happen. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota that may be able to assist you with seeking the claim you may deserve following a serious truck accident. Truck companies are required to hold high-limit insurance policies because when accidents happen, they can result in serious damages and losses. What risks do trucks pose to passenger vehicles and to the general public? What are some of the ways that truck crashes can be prevented? Here are some examples of crash types and their causes:
- Wide Turn Crashes. Trucks need a wide space to successfully perform a turn. When truck drivers fail to take this into account, accidents can happen. Trucks are not permitted to drive on certain roads or intersections because these intersections cannot accommodate the wide turn radius a truck needs. However, driver inexperience, inattention, and other factors can lead to wide turn crashes. If you or someone you love was hurt in a wide turn crash in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury law firm that may be able to help you seek damages from truck companies or their insurers.
- Underride Accidents. By law, trucks must be equipped with rear guard rails to prevent cars from sliding under the trailer. However, trucks are not required to have side guards, though these guards have been shown to prevent underride accidents. When passenger vehicles slide under the trailer, serious and deadly accidents can occur. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury law firm that can investigate your carriage underride truck accident to determine whether the truck driver or truck company was negligent. Improper equipment can sometimes lead to more serious injuries and losses.
- Tire Blowouts. Tire blowouts can result in a truck driver losing control of his or her vehicle. There are many reasons why tire blowouts occur. Low tire pressure and overloaded trucks can result in a tire blowout. Truck companies are required to regularly replace their tires and to check their tires for weaknesses. When truck companies fail to perform required maintenance, tire blowouts can occur. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is an accident law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota that can investigate a truck company’s maintenance records to determine if faulty tires might have resulted in your crash.
- Jackknife Truck Accident. Jackknife accidents can occur if a truck driver brakes suddenly, or if a driver stops on slick roads. Lack of traction can result in a jackknife truck accident. These accidents can be deadly because the trailer can slide onto shouldering or oncoming lanes of traffic. If you or someone you love was hurt in a truck jackknife accident, you and your family might have the right to seek damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is an accident law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota that can investigate the truck driver’s record and other factors that might have played a role in your crash.
- Blind Spot Accidents. Trucks have wide blind spots. Basically, a truck has a blind spot on all four sides, but some sides have wider blind spots than others. For example, to the right of a truck, the blind spot can span two lanes and even go behind the truck. To the left of the truck, there is also a blind spot. Trucks also have blind spots directly in the front and in the back. Truck drivers have a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings, and to signal when changing lanes. Distracted driving, drunk driving, and fatigued driving can increase the risk of blind spot accidents. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota that can investigate your accident to determine whether driver fatigue, drunk driving, or driver distraction may have played a role in your blind spot accident.
- Lost Loads. Truck companies and drivers have a responsibility to secure their loads. When companies fail to do this, road debris can pose a hazard to passenger vehicles, motorcyclists, and other road users. If you believe a truck’s lost load contributed to your crash, consider reaching out to the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino today.
The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is an accident law firm that handles a range of accident claims. Our firm understands the complex laws that govern truck companies and we work hard to fight for the rights of victims and their families. You may only have a limited amount of time under the law to make a claim for damages from truck companies and their insurers. Reach out to our personal injury lawyer today to learn about the next steps you can take.