If you’ve been in a car accident, you may have many questions about your rights. The reality is that many of the causes of car accidents are preventable. If you or someone you love was recently seriously injured in a preventable car crash, you may have a range of options under the law, including the right to seek damages from negligent parties, insurance companies, and other responsible stakeholders. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota who works with car accident victims and their families to help them seek justice. What are some of the leading causes of car accidents in Minneapolis, and what can you do if you find yourself in these types of accidents? Here are a few:
- Distracted Driving. Distracted driving is a problem that leads to 3,166 deaths each year, and results in many more injuries, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Checking your cell phone while driving, changing the GPS on your car’s navigation system, texting and driving, eating and driving, changing your car’s music, and any action that takes your attention off the road can be considered distracted driving. If you think another driver’s distracted resulted in your crash, an accident attorney like the attorneys at the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino may be able to review phone records, look at social media postings, and speak to witnesses to help you seek justice if another person’s distraction resulted in your crash.
- Drunk and Drugged Driving. Drunk and drugged driving is against the law. If the police report indicates that the other driver was charged with a DUI, you may have a strong personal injury case. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota that may be able to help.
- Reckless Driving. Reckless driving can involve tailgating, road rage, speeding, or any other actions that can endanger the lives of others on the road. Reckless driving can put everyone at risk, and it can also, in some cases, constitute a criminal offense. If another driver’s recklessness resulted in your injury, an accident lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota, like the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino may be able to help you with a claim.
- You can’t control the weather, but you can control how you drive in response to it. Drivers can slow down for conditions. When drivers fail to take action, they could be held responsible for their negligence.
- Breaking the Law. Running red lights. Speeding. Illegal turns. If a driver’s violation of the rules of the road resulted in your crash, you may have the right to seek damages for your losses.
- Teen drivers are inexperienced and therefore pose a greater crash risk than others on the road. Proper parental guidance can often mitigate some of the bigger risks teen drivers pose. If you have been hurt in an accident because of the actions of a teen driver, the teen’s parents could potentially be responsible for paying your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages.
- Road Rage. Anger and driving don’t mix. If a person’s road rage resulted in a crash, you may have the right to pursue a lawsuit against the driver. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is an accident law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota that can review your case and help you take the next steps.
- Vehicle Malfunction. Drivers have a responsibility to properly maintain their vehicles. Improperly maintained vehicles can malfunction. In some cases, when tires blow or breaks fail, accidents can happen. If a vehicle malfunction resulted in your crash, the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino may be able to review the owner’s maintenance records to determine whether neglectful maintenance resulted in your crash.
- Defective Vehicles. Every year millions of vehicles are subject to recalls. Vehicle defects can result in injuries to drivers and to others on the road. If your vehicle was subject to a recall and a defect resulted in your injuries and accident, the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino, an accident lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota may be able to help.
- Road Debris. When construction workers fail to clean road debris, and when cities fail to repair roads, hazardous road conditions can occur. If you or someone you love was hurt because of road debris, you may have a personal injury case. However, certain types of claims against the government (if the road was a public one) can be more complex than typical personal injury claims. A lawyer at the Law Office of Martin T. Montilino in Minneapolis, Minnesota may be able to help.
These are just some of the causes of accidents. Many crashes could have been easily prevented had drivers paid attention to the road, put down their cell phones, and followed the law. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is an accident lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota that prides itself on protecting the rights of the injured. If you have been hurt in a crash, you may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim. Contact our law firm today for a free initial consultation during which our lawyers can review your case, or reach out to USAttorneys.com to get connected with one of our accident attorneys.