MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota. If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, truck accident, or due to the negligence or neglect of another person or party, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. In some instances, it may be wise to hire a personal injury lawyer to handle your case. A law firm can review the facts of your accident, fight negligent parties either inside or outside of court, and help you seek the damages you may deserve under the law. If you’ve been seriously injured, for example, you may require ongoing medical care, nursing care, and may miss time from work. It’s also important to note that these accidents can happen anywhere so be sure to get in contact with a Queens personal injury attorney if hurt in Queens or a Californian attorney if hurt there, etc.
These losses can add up to thousands of dollars or even millions of dollars. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota who may be able to help you. Yet, not all lawyers will be the right match for your case. What are some questions you can ask to find the right lawyer for your case? Here are 12 questions to consider.
- What is your area of specialty? Not all lawyers handle the same kind of cases. Even a lawyer who is a personal injury attorney may not handle the specific type of accident you’ve had. It is important to find a lawyer who works with the type of accident you’ve been involved in and is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
- What are your fees? Personal injury lawyers won’t collect damages unless you win your case, but it is wise to ask your lawyers what their fee structures are. Usually your lawyer will collect a percentage of your damages.
- What is the value of my case? During your initial consultations, your lawyer will review your case and help you understand the value of your claim. Your lawyer will use a variety of methods to determine this amount-from reviewing medical bills, speaking to medical experts, looking at pay stubs, and estimating your pain and suffering damages. You should also ask your lawyer to explain his or her reasoning regarding the value of damages he or she is estimating for you.
- What is your plan for my case? Some lawyers will write demand letters and seek a recovery from insurance companies. Other lawyers will pursue litigation. Every case is unique. Your lawyer should have a game plan for how to handle your case. Usually your lawyer will begin by writing a demand letter for damages. If this doesn’t produce results, your attorney may pursue a lawsuit on your behalf.
- How long will it take to get results? Again, every case is different, but your lawyer should be able to give you general timelines about when he or she plans to take action. You may have only a limited amount of time to make certain claims under Minnesota’s statute of limitations, so your lawyer should not delay in writing demand letters, negotiating with adjusters, or filing a lawsuit should negotiations fail.
- How can I reach you about the case? It is important to find a lawyer who is available to answer your questions. You don’t want your concerns, calls, or emails to go unanswered. Does your lawyer offer a general turnaround time for calls, emails, and other concerns? Is it hard or easy to meet with him or her in person?
- What is your honest assessment of my case? Not all cases are equally compelling. You want a lawyer who can offer an honest assessment of your chances of succeeding.
- What should I do? As a client, you also have certain responsibilities. You may want to avoid posting on social media before your case is resolved. You may also need to seek medical care. It is important to follow your lawyer’s instructions to ensure the best possible outcome for your case.
- What is the deadline to file my lawsuit? Because of Minnesota’s statute of limitations laws, you will have a deadline by which you need to file your lawsuit. Your lawyer should know this deadline. In general, your lawyer should not wait until the last minute to file a claim.
- Will I be responsible for any costs if we lose? While most lawyers take a contingency fee, you may be responsible for other advanced expenses. Ask your lawyer to explain his or her cost structure before retaining the firm.
- Will you be working on my case? Sometimes law firms have several attorneys and paralegals on staff. You should know who will be handling your case.
- Have you handled other cases like mine in the past? Generally, you want a lawyer with experience in your kind of case.
If you’re looking to bring law professionals into your legal team, you could use online legal recruiters like Lawyer Exchange to bring your firm into contact with lawyers seeking work.
Finally, when looking for a lawyer, it is important to find a good fit for your personality and your case. There are both big and small law firms out there. The Law Office of Martin T. Montilino is a personal injury law firm in Minneapolis, Minnesota who offers compassionate and caring counsel to victims and families. The firm prides itself on offering its clients the personal attention they deserve. Mr. Montilino is available on nights and weekends and works closely with the clients he takes on. Learn more by watching this video: How to Choose the Right Minneapolis Personal Injury Attorney to Handle My Case.
When it comes to choosing a lawyer for truck accidents in Georgia, you may want to get in touch with an experienced Georgia truck accident lawyer like those of Spiva Law Group in Savannah.